Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Dangers of Artificial Sweeteners, Part 2

The other day I was talking to a bunch of women, and I told them about how bad refined sugar is for our health. I added that artificial sweeteners are not a real solution, either, naming aspartame, and giving them some info from my last post. One of them, relieved, said: "Oh, great, I only use Splenda". I told her not to be so happy about it, as I had read that it wasn't that good at all, but at that time I did not have any facts to support my statement. So I began to search, and I really wanted to find pros and cons alike. Well, Splenda's own website was about the only one with positive info.
They have a really nice website, somehow it reminded me of the house of the wicked witch from "Hansel and Gretel".
Let's see what they say about the safety of sucralose (its trade name is Splenda, but its included in a wide variety of food items):

McNeil Nutritionals, LLC is committed to developing innovative nutritional products, such as the SPLENDA® Sweetener Products, that provide important health and lifestyle benefits to consumers. The company is extremely proud of the strong clinical database that supports the safety of sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in all SPLENDA® Sweetener Products, and we recognize that this strong safety evidence is one of the many reasons why SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener has been the number-one low-calorie sweetener in the U.S. marketplace for more than three years.


Unfortunately, I found too many websites that contradict this statement. Unlike the manufacturers of Splenda, they don't have (well, most of them don't) any financial gain from telling that sucralose is in fact a chemical that can do you more harm than good.
Instead of providing explanations taken from other websites, let me paste here some of the sites I found and are worth reading:
http://www.splendasickness.blogspot.com/
http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/splenda.asp
http://www.wnho.net/splenda.htm

I don't know for you, but I'll stick with raw honey and Stevia.

No comments: